Three Amigos pt. 2…

Seeing the love Trey and Thomas shared, the connection they had….you could feel it when you were around them, or when you walked into the house. I remember the first time I came over for dinner I thought I could smell the sweet smell of bread being made, but no one was making bread. You could feel the love and the homeyness within the first two steps of entering. After I moved in with Trey and Thomas I felt like we made our own little family with Beau, Bess and the chickens. It was all that I needed in a very rough time of my life. It was us three verses whatever was thrown at us - cancer, hair loss, chemo treatments. And now, strokes, the unknown, and rehab. Trey could never stay at the hospital too long, so he had me stay. Together we all figured it out.


Thomas got better, and better. He was released from the hospital, and I had to go pick up Trey that morning. We were both so excited…but there was something different about trey I didn’t know what it was. Figured he was just excited.

The morning after Thomas was released he and Trey were going to take Uber to a hospital appointment. Trey called me into his room and asked if I would please drive them - Thomas was freaked out that he was going back into the hospital. Of course I would. And when we pulled into Ashley tower Trey said why don’t you just park and come up with us. ….okay

He had Thomas and I sign a lot of paperwork in case I ever had to take him to the dr or hospital. Okay. And then he said to stay and listen to the drs so I knew what was going on. It was weird But I did. Many many things were weird. And they were just STARTING to make sense.

  • In rehab Trey wanted me there to learn all of the at home care.

  • He wanted me there for all of the stroke care classes

  • The day we had to learn fall safety he wanted me there because he said he wouldn’t be there if Thomas fell. So, I needed to know.

  • Multiple times he had me promise him that Thomas would always be taken care of. No matter what.

I didn’t know where any of this was coming from. That day at lunch (pollo loco)Thomas tried to ask about it all. And Trey changed the subject real fast. Wouldn’t discuss it. Period.

Monday morning again Trey asked me to drive them to his chemo dr for his appointment. Again he asked me to come up. I sat in the lobby with them. When they called Strock, Thomas basically ran. He wanted to see everyone, and find out what was going on. Trey said why don’t you come on back. Right then I thought WHAT IS GOING ON?

We walked back. Thomas was saying hello to everyone. Excited to be back, and get Trey straightened out. He knew something was wrong. But he would Fix it. The Dr walked in. And said oh wow. Thomas is out!!! And then his face changed. Immediately. Trey stood up and ran out of the room sick.

We just sat there like what is going on? Thomas immediately said ‘he’s not drinking enough water’. And before Trey came back the doctor said ‘I’m going to send you to the hospital right now. Can you get down there quick?’

Everything was making sense. But I didn’t want to believe it. Thomas kept saying this is a good thing Trey. Your dehydrated and they’ll give you IVs. That’s all Thomas thought we were going for.

Trey did not want him at the hospital. He would always tell Thomas to go with me. Do some work. Don’t sit there.

Things went downhill really quick I don’t know how Thomas could deal with everything. I don’t even know how it all happened. I remember everything was okay. And then Thomas just started to fall apart in the hospital when he finally started to accept what was happening. He couldn’t even walk out. He didn’t know what to think, who to trust, what to do. He was mad. Really mad. At everything, but I think mostly at himself for failing Trey, and not being there when he needed. I think he felt entirely guilty for everything.

In the couple of weeks after Trey was released it was a rollercoaster. Everything was fine. We went to see a movie, Trey told Hospice He did not want or need them. Which I thought was great - we would beat this thing. Everyone agreed Hospice was not needed. Everyone was happy.

Except Thomas. He wanted to know what was going on. Trey had not let him meet with any of the drs, and he wanted to know why Treys Dr wanted hospice there. He was calling and getting an appointment. He wanted to know what was going on. Trey Said okay…I think to calm Thomas down.